Emmanuel Baptist Church began as Hillside Bible Church of Ivoryton, CT.
In the mid-nineteen fifties, three Christian ladies began meeting regularly to ask the LORD to open a closed Lutheran Church in the town of Ivoryton, CT. Their prayers were answered when He sent to them a missionary serving with an organization called Opening Closed Churches Mission.
God used a Christian businessman to provide the funds needed to purchase the building and the first service of Hillside Bible Church was held on a rainy Easter Sunday morning in 1955. Very soon, a Pastor was called and the Church began to reach families in Ivoryton and the surrounding area. We soon outgrew the Hillside building. In 1962 we purchased property in Old Saybrook and subsequently moved to our present location.
Our present building was built in 1963. Today, as for the past fifty plus we continue to preach the simple message of sins forgiven and the free gift of eternal life in Jesus Christ alone. Our hearts' desire is to reach families with the wonderful news that any and every sin can be forgiven in Christ. And we've found that life is lived at its best when we let Him have His way in our hearts and lives.